Upon the adoption of the Long-Term Comprehensive Plan (LTCP) for the Crystal Airport in 2017, the Metropolitan Airports Commission (MAC), along with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) prepared a joint Environmental Assessment / Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EA/EAW).
This site provides information about the EA/EAW process, draft report and how the community was involved.
The purpose of the project outlined in the EA/EAW is to:
- Address failing, end-of-life infrastructure;
- Enhance safety for airport users and neighbors; and
- Improve facilities for the family of aircraft using the airport.
Overall project objectives
- Simplify the airfield layout
- Provide adequate runway length for aircraft currently using the airport
- Provide aircraft with enhanced arrival capabilities, while minimizing airspace obstacles to the main runway
- Improve airfield roadways for airport vehicle circulation
- Expand the airfield apron for additional aircraft parking
- Develop airport-owned property that is not used for airport operations for other uses
- Keep Runway Protection Zones (RPZs) on airport property, if possible
Proposed project components
- Decommission Runway 14R/32L and convert it to a full parallel taxiway for primary Runway 14/32
- Convert portions of primary Runway 14/32 blast pads to usable runway for a total published length of 3,750 feet
- Shift primary Runway 14/32 approximately 115 feet to the northwest along its centerline
- Reduce the length of existing Runway 06R/24L (turf) to 1,669 feet
- Revise the Runway 14 instrument approach procedure and establish a GPS-based procedure to Runway 32
- Replace the Runway 32 visual approach slope indicator (VASI) with a precision approach path indicator (PAPI)
- Relocate the Runway 14/32 runway end identifier lights (REILs)
- Adjust and extend the runway and taxiway edge lights to correspond with the proposed primary runway length
- Convert Taxiway E into an apron edge taxilane between Taxiways A and E1
- Remove the section of Taxiway E that crosses Runways 06L/24R and 06R/24L
- Remove Taxiways E2 and E3 and replace them with a single new connector
- Add a connector taxiway between Taxiway E and the future parallel taxiway
- Remove existing runway end connector Taxiways E1 and E4 and replace with new connectors
- Add new engine-run up pads on either end of Runway 14/32
- Construct on-airport perimeter roads to allow ground vehicles to circulate without crossing runways
- Expand the FBO apron to increase tie-down spaces for aircraft and remove tie-downs from the Runway 06R RPZ
- Release certain airport property for non-aeronautical use along 63rd Avenue North
The graphic below depicts the project.