Upon the completion of the Lake Elmo Long-Term Comprehensive Plan (LTCP) in 2016 and a joint Environmental Assessment/Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EA/EAW) in 2018, construction of Lake Elmo Airport improvements began in late 2019. This webpage will provide regular updates on the construction activity.
The improvements at Lake Elmo Airport include the following elements:
- Relocate and extend Runway 14/32 to 3,500 feet
- Realign 30th Street North around the relocated runway protection zone and reconnect to the existing intersection with Neal Avenue
- Construct a new Crossfield taxiway to serve the new Runway 14 end
- Convert the existing runway to a parallel taxiway and construct other taxiways as needed to support the relocated runway
- Reconstruct and extend crosswind Runway 4/22 to 2,750 feet
- Upgrade instrument approach to use newer technology
The construction activity is divided into three phases:
- Phase 1: Realign 30th Street North between Manning Avenue and Neal Avenue (November 2019 through July 2020).
- Phase 2: Construction of new Runway 14/32 and taxiways (Fall 2020 through Summer 2021).
- Phase 3: Completion of new Runway 14/32 and taxiways and convert existing runway to parallel taxiway (Fall 2021 through Summer 2022).